Questions and Answers

How to I transfer a DC custody/visitation order to Charles county MD?

I have a custody/visitation order that was done in DC. I now live in Charles county MD for the last 3 years and want to modify the agreement. Neither parties live in DC anymore. Can I transfer the case to Md somehow? If so, can I do the paperwork on my own without retaining a lawyer and what forms are needed?


You will need to file a “Motion to Enroll A Foreign Judgment”* stating the reasons why you believe that Charles County, Maryland has jurisdiction over the child. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) a must live in the State (Maryland) with one parent for at least six months before the State has jurisdiction. Still, it is a little more complicated than than and since DC is so close to Charles County, MD it may not be worth it to transfer the case. I assume that you want to change the terms of the existing Order. If not, then it may not be worth the trouble. If so, it is easier to try to get the other side to agree to transferring the case to Maryland via a Joint Motion.

*The Motion would include a Certified Copy of the DC Order. There is a small fee for this and a fee to open the case in Charles County.

Back to Questions